Choosing a brand · Anonymised case study

Reconsidering a name before launch

A consulting business needed a practical next step after its proposed name attracted an opposition.

Client names and identifying details have been omitted. This account describes the work and stage stated below.

The business and background

The client was preparing to launch a consulting business under a proposed trading name. An opposition from an earlier rights holder had put that name in question before the business had become established. The client needed to decide whether to continue with the disputed identity or choose a different name while a change was still commercially manageable. Our instruction concerned the brand position, rebranding options and assessment of alternative names.

The challenge

The business was still preparing to launch. Continuing to invest in the disputed identity risked making a later change more disruptive.

Our approach

We advised the client to consider a new name before launch and reviewed alternative naming directions. A proposed alternative also needed scrutiny rather than being assumed safe because it was different.

Work and outcome

Rebranding advice was provided and a focused search on a further candidate was commissioned. The example concerns naming advice and search work, not a guarantee that a replacement name was available.

What this illustrates

Early advice can help a business decide where to invest its branding budget before its identity becomes established.

Facing a similar business decision?

Tell us about your brand and the help you need.

Search Corpinal IP